Thursday 22 March 2012

Days 1-2 of London Life


I know this blog starts off sounding depressing, but if you will just have a little faith in me, it gets better after day 1!

Day 1: Wednesday, March 14

So my trip to London started on Tuesday when my plane left Atlanta (home sweet home!), but I was still technically in America(-ish) until after midnight, so we’ll start with Wednesday.  My parents were so very kind to come over with me so I didn’t have to fly to a big new country alone with 75+ pounds of luggage to lug around all over London on a tube station I had no idea how to use.  Also, they had never been to Europe before either, so it was a win-win all around.  We arrived at 6 am London time, and as big a sleeper as I am (I have been known to fall asleep at the dentist and while getting my hair washed at the hair salon…I know, but it’s really possible), I did not sleep on the plane.  There was just a *little bit* going on in my mind perhaps!  Upon arriving, the customs lady, who clearly pulled the short straw when it came to job hours, and thus was not a happy camper, would not let me through.  Mom and dad were fine, but not poor little innocent-looking me.  After begging and pleading and some tears (seriously, no judging, I need this rotation to graduate), she finally decided I was not a terrorist or coming to make any money over here so I was allowed to enter.  Welcome to the UK! 

So, to recap: arrived at 6 am with no sleep and navigated through a strange city via train, tube, and taxi after crying my way through customs.  The rest of the day is a blur.  I’m sorry I can’t give you anymore than that.  Oh, I did have a slightly computer emergency once I was rejuvenated after a short nap when I realized the “geniuses” at Best Buy did not help me pick out an electrical adapter that would fit my computer’s 3-pronged plug.  Major panic and meltdown ensued, partly due to exhaustion, partly due to my addiction to my computer.  Then we went to sleep.


Day 2: Thursday, March 15
Luckily, Thursday started off much more promising than my arrival day!  First of all, it was sunny and “warm.”  I say warm because people were wearing tank tops and the current trend (which I hope never makes it to America because I WILL NOT follow it) of teeny tiny jean booty shorts (on people who cannot fit into said shorts and certainly are not in the appropriate age category even if they could fit into them) with ripped tights underneath.  I am not sure if the rips were intentional or not.  Anyway, everyone wears this.  NO ONE should.  I was quite warm and cozy with my tights (underneath my jeans, mind you), a sweater, fleece jacket, winter pea coat, gloves, and scarf.  And rested and well-fed.  In general, pretty happy!  

After learning of several electronic stops to look at for my computer adapter, we navigated to the Victoria Station (in zone 1; London is in 6 zones with central London in zone 1 like a bulls-eye and works its way out from there to the outer suburbs in zone 6) from our B&B in zone 4.  I decided to just stop in a small 10x10 ft pharmacy called Boots in the station, and lo and behold, they had a universal American prong to UK adapter.  For only 5£ (Best Buy “geniuses” also ripped me off with my $40 adapter set, but oh well)!!  It was a pharmacy miracle!  I was now a happy camper ready to go!  Since the station was just a stop on my way to all the electronic stores, I had the whole day free now!  

We decided to start with the Tower of London and the Crown Jewels.  After getting a student discount (score!), we made our way in and WOW!  My first castle (of many I’m sure, while I’m here).  So beautiful and the history behind everything is amazing.  The preservation of buildings, furniture, clothing, wall carvings, etc. from the 1200’s and forward just absolutely astounds me.  The Beefeaters (Tower of London guards) gave a wonderful tour (mixed some hilarious jokes) and I thoroughly enjoyed my time there!  And since all reading this know of my love of anything shiny or sparkly, obviously the Crown Jewels were a big hit!  Pictures (not allowed in the jewel room unfortunately) would not do them justice.  They are quite impressive in person.  Especially the 530+ carat Star of Africa diamond in the Royal Scepter.  [Makes the rock on my hand look like a speck ;)  Just kidding to Bryce, who of course, picked out a lovely and quite large ring!  This joke was actually made by the Beefeaters about every ring each lady there was wearing!]  Then we meandered to Trafalgar Square and every single pub was packed with people.  We have since learned that is where most people eat dinner.  And where the beer is cheaper than Coke! Ha ha.  Or even free if you order certain burger meals!  Also, the food is very reasonably priced, and no smoking is allowed in any building in London!  I also got to use video Skype for the first time (since my computer could charge with its lovely new electrical adapter) and “see” Bryce.  Overall, a very good day!


See, if you stuck with me to this point, you'll see I wasn't lying!

No comments:

Post a Comment